Not just going with the flow
Project: S::CAN Waste Monitoring System Installation
Client: Nelson Regional Sewerage Business Unit (NRSBU)
Precise load management is key to efficient and effective sewerage system activity. Accurate and timely load data is crucial to informing a number of important decisions for asset owners, including:
- Division of load between the high energy activated sludge process and the parallel low energy oxidation ponds.
- The waste charges applied to the three large traders that represent 40% of load, and to the two Council reticulation networks
- How to react to load spikes, especially if trade wasters release concentrated waste
Prior to Nelmac’s takeover, previous load measurement practices resulted in inadequate data capture, too-late reporting outcomes and non-optimal performance.
Nelmac proposed the installation of S::CAN optical probes at the WWTP. S::CAN probes ‘fingerprint’ waste streams in real-time and deliver data online about the chemical and biological composition of the flow.
This can be used to:
- Quantify influent load in real-time and inform decision-making
- Identify load spikes as they occur allowing for timely response
- Analyse influent anomalies in retrospect to direct system improvements
- ‘Finger-print’ individual waste streams to better understand the impact of large trade waste streams
Implementation of S::CAN has helped optimise load management, improved knowledge and coordination around seasonal loads variability and given a tool to analyse load spikes that can be detrimental to the plant.
Looking for a conservation partner for your next project? Contact Nelmac on 0800 635 622 to learn more.